Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mr. Independent

Wow, there are really parts of the 2-yr-old psyche that drive me crazy, but I really have a love/hate relationship with independence. I think it's great that Buddy wants to open doors, close doors, take his diaper off, put his diaper on, dress himself, feed himself, and everything else. But I really have a hard time with the messes he inevitably makes while changing his diaper, in particular :) Buddy also loves helping me do the laundry, which usually consists of dumping all the clean clothes out on the floor. SO not my favorite.

We've been working on potty training--should I admit that he's pretty much totally potty-trained at school because they're the ones who have been working on it? :) Anyway, the other night he came home from school with his underwear still on (such a good boy!!) I wanted him to go to the bathroom before we left the house to run errands, but he was not so amenable. So I bribed him by telling him I would take him to McDonald's. And it worked!! Hoping he would forget about McDonald's, I just drove home but as soon as I pulled into the subdivision, he started shouting, "Donald's!!!" So we detoured back out and headed to the yellow arches. We ordered our food, and had barely started eating when the inevitable happened. And of course I didn't have any extra pants for him! So I pulled my t-shirt off and wrapped it around him like a loin cloth, and we finished dinner. The big problem at this point was our plans to go to the gym after McDonald's (and yes, I ate fast food and then worked out). Lucky for us, there was a Goodwill across the street, so we rushed over, bought some HOT shorts, and worked out. The kids had a blast at the gym's playroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment